Wednesday 8 April 2009

all the things i've been thinking over the last two weeks

MATHEMATICAL VS. INSTINCTUAL

Whilst I had Mumps, I began making geodesic/metric structures using the nets from the website which Eliza put up on the blog a while ago. Here are some pictures of the standard ones you can make with their nets.

After a while I realised that I didn't really find it very rewarding at all.

Its just a step by step guide, so basically a monkey or a small child could do it. There really is nothing very creative about it at all. I wrote some notes about how I felt about it.






click on these two below to read my notes


So...I bovved off the ready made step by step geometric models and began to cut out my own nets, by hand without using rulers or maths of any kind.
In this picture you can see my first attempt on the right. At this point I have already scored the folds with scissors. I used the mathematical net (purple one on the left) from Eliza's website thing as a guide, but cut mine out by hand and eye and changed the angles at random and incorperated mistakes.


This is how it looked once I had folded it all up and secured it with tape.



Its runs into problems because not all the sides touch the floor as they do in the mathematical neat type ones.



I did more experiments to try and rectify this problem. Some went well and some looked shite.
Here's some photos showing each stage from flat shape to scoring to 3D model.













I tried doing a wiggly one but the paper just ended up curving with the shapes-i do wonder what this would be like with cardboard.




I did alot of different experiments with nets, and then thought of a different way of making a spontaneous/instinctual type shape.
I first wrapped a piece of A4 paper around my fist to make a "hut shape".

Cut a straight line around the bottom and cut off the excess folds.

Draw lines on the 3D model where folds should be, ie. when the surface of the paper changes, draw a line.


Then flatten out the paper again and you have a rough net for the original shape.


However, when I tried to remake this net, I realised it would've been better to have drawn triangles on the 3D model, as square shapes and random lines are very hard to score without making the paper bend instead of fold when you come to build it.
So... I started again but drew triangles all over the crumply shape.



And then opened out the paper and scanned it into the computer.

Then drew proper straight computer lines (to make scoring easier) over my wobbly felt tip lines.


HOWEVER It was a ridiculously complicated net for one so small and I used really weird glossy paper which meant that it didn't fold very well.
I scored all those fucking lines.


And it just didn't work that well. I want to try this one again bigger with better materials.


FINALLY I came up with another net just much simpler than that one.
This time I used an orange to wrap the paper around.

I cut away the excess paper like I had done before and set about perfecting it but trying to keep it simple.Here I've drawn triangles over the surface of the mock up.

Then I unfolded it and scanned it in and made a neat one like before.

As you can see from the adjustments in felt tip, I made version after version of this one until it was water tight. Flat against the floor and without and gaps of bends instead of folds.

This is the final net.



I still need to make adjustments, but the next stage after that is doing a big cardboard one.



SO THE MORAL OF ALL THIS IS we need to stop following instructions and step by step guides to making things that have already been made because there's nothing creative or of any value about doing that. We need to begin with those things, for example I couldn't have done all my own nets without looking at the standard ones first, but then step outside of those rules and use the knowledge that we have about how to do it properly, to break the rules and make something that is our own.


PS.

MEETING AT JORDANS-THURSDAY 4TH
The other day we decided that we should limit our materials. Fuck professional stuff like timber. We should use: Cardboard, paper, fabric, canes, rope and twine. Obviously we can bend that rule sometimes but I think having a small selection of materials will really tie the room and all our structures together.

CANES
I have sent a £5 cheque of my own money off to get the sample pack from that website that sells canes that emma put on the blog a while ago.

PIGGY BANK
I have put my share in. £80 - £16 that I made at the zine fair = £64.

MATERIALS DATABASE
We need to find out where to get cardboard from- in large foundation style quantities. A woman in the 3D workshop has set up a materials database. it details where to get things. Here it is.

BOOK ROOM DEN
I'm still fond of this den. i think we should still build one like it for our show.


VENUES
We need to remember to check that BP Garage near Jordan's house. Also, here is the number for Burgess Park, we should call them asap: 02075252000

KNOTS
I've been learning all the knots from the knot book. I will scan them in soon but you will see them tomorrow.

xxx

No comments: